Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

How long does it take to become indicted once investigated.

Customer Question

My sister had a court date to plead guilty on forgery charges three days before the court date the feds sent the state a letter asking to stop that court apperance bc she is under investigation she had since been arrested and they say not to let her out due to future indictment in two weeks they have been saying this since april 29. How long does this take? Is this normal? Once indicted do you know right away? Her public defender keeps saying two weeks the last was the end of july she would be indicted and we havnt heard nothing yet and she is still in jail
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
It can be years before she is indicted. They only have to indict within the statute of limitations time. She will be served a copy of the indictment when it happens.

Some indictments are issues quickly while others take longer. I suspect the PD is telling what they are being told.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Always feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Texas Atty's Post: what is the statute of limitations time? There is another lady that has appeared at court hearings that has the same name as she does just different ages its been a big mess its white collar I just dont know where to begin to get anywhere
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
It depends on the charge it is years though for any felony.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Texas Atty's Post: ONCE you are indcted by Grand jury how long is it before they serve you days hours ect?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
It can be days as well.