LegalPro, Attorney
Experience:  33 years legal experience in areas of criminal law, estates and probate, and real estate law.

Is is possible to sue a doctor in small court for medical ...

Is is possible to sue a doctor in small court for medical expenses that I paid for the second operation due to failuie of the first eye surgery?
Expert:  LegalPro replied 8 years ago.
It sounds as though the amount your claim may be higher than the jurisdictional limits of most small claims courts. That is, small claims courts are designed for non-attorney parties and limit the amount one can sue for. The limits vary from state to state, but I'd say the limits don't run much higher that $3,000. It may be in your best interest to seek an attorney who practices in the area of medical negligence cases, and who may take your case on a contingent basis (you pay him or her a percentage of your recovery only if you win). Many such attorneys offer free initial consultations. The small claims court may be open to you for your claim, but the nature of your claim leads me to believe that your case may involve a larger amount and be more complex than small claims courts are designed for. Happy to provide more info upon your reply.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The expenses are in the $3000 limits. My question was if this is a legal case for a small court?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you.
The $3000 limit is OK.
My question mainly was about the legality of my case in Small Court Customer