Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I had some flooring done in my home. The ...

I had some flooring done in my home. The contractor did not finish the job. I did not have a contract and did not sign anything. It was just a verbal estimate. I sent him a cheque and letter for full payment by registered post July 1 and to this day he hasn''t picked up that letter. He is refusing to go and pick up the letter at the post office and is threatening to take me to court if he doesn''t get his payment by August 4th. What are my legal rights concerning this ? Should I cancel the original cheque and send him another one via regular mail ? Am I allowed to deduct the cost of cancelation of my original cheque? I had to take someone else to finish the job.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 8 years ago.
If you sent him the letter and the check by registered mail just send him a regular letter and tell him it is there for him to pick up. If he sues you counter sue for frivolous filing and for the extra amount you had to pay to have hte job finished.

I don't think you can withhold the cost of cancellation of the original check.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Always feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.