Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

In the state of Ohio if married individuals have seperate ...

In the state of Ohio if married individuals have seperate credit card debt and one spouse dies is the other spouse responsible for debt not in their name
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
The only way a spouse would not be liable for debts of the other spouse would be if they have previously declared the debts separate property. When someone dies in debt, the 1/2 of the marital estate goes to the surviving spouse directly and then the other half will be used to pay any of the debts and once those debts are satisfied then the heirs are able to inherit the remainder. But as long as you are married the spouses are liable for debt and support of each other.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to PaulMJD's Post: what if there is no insurance nothing to inherit and the credit cards are strictly in one persons name can they come after surviving spouse if there was no insurance or assets
Yes, they can come after your assets as the spouse unless you had previously established a completely separate property regime.