Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

What are my sons option in pursuing a case

What are my son''s option in pursuing a case that involves, his landlord going into his apartment, he called the sheriff who has the complaint, this woman took pictures, illegally obtained, and then used them to go and show them to a perspective landlord. I know she can be charged for trespassing and malice, is there anything else she can be charged with and/or are there punitive damages assessed?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
She can also be sued for invasion of privacy. As far as punitive damages, they are not generally allowed absent a showing of gross negligence/misconduct and it is a fact intensive process that depends on the facts of each case. He needs to hire an attorney now to begin his suit against the landlord and if he cannot afford one, call the state bar and ask about the pro bono programs in the area.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to PaulMJD's Post: What about malice? This woman never responded to the perspective landlord, until she acheived nothing in court, then the same day she went to this apartment complex and showed them the pirtures (illegally obtained) with the intention of not letting them have the option to live there, it worked.
Malice would only be an addition to the charges, not a separate charge. In other words, she invaded his privacy with malice or she breached the lease with malice etc.