Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

MY BEST FRIEND HAS ASKED ME TO CO-SIGN FOR HER AND HER ...

Customer Question

MY BEST FRIEND HAS ASKED ME TO CO-SIGN FOR HER AND HER HUSBAND ON AN APARTMENT LEASE. TO MY KNOWLEDGE IF I DO THIS AND SHE DEFAULTS ON HER RENT, I THEN AM TOTALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR HER RENT FOR THE BALANCE OF THE LEASE OR UNTIL SHE CATCHES UP - AND AT THAT POINT HOW CAN I GET MY MONEY RETURNED.   SHE HAS ADVISED ME THAT THIS COMPLEX CAN DEDUCT THE RENT DIRECTLY FROM HER HUSBANDS SOCIAL SECURITY CHECK BEFORE IT ARRIVES. IF THIS IS TRUE, WHY WOULD THEY NEED A CO-SIGNER? IT SEEMS TO ME THAT A GOVERNMENT CHECK IS A FAIRLY GOOD CO-SIGNER. ALSO, WOULD IT BE TO ANY ADVANTAGE TO ME TO RENT THE PLACE IN MY NAME AND SUB-LET TO THEM - I COULD EVICT IF NECESSARY IN THIS CASE AND RE-LET TO ANOTHER AND MORE EASILY RECOUP MY MONIES THAN BY CO-SIGNING.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
You are correct in that if you co-sign they would come after you if there was any default on the lease. You would not be able to evict the person if you were merely the co-signer and not the co-lessee. Your only way to recover any money owed if the landlord comes after you for payment would be to sue this person. I never recommend co-signing for friends or boyfriend/girlfriend.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to PaulMJD's Post: WHAT WOULD BE MY BENEFIT IF I WERE TO BE A CO-LESSEE??
As a co-lessee you would have the same rights to the apartment as the other co-lessee and as long as the lease allows you could seek to evict the friend for non-payment and could sub-let or let someone assume the lease. You should enter into a written agreement with the other lessee regarding this as well.