Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

A Friend & I went to Stewarts Ice Cream Shop on

A Friend & I went to Stewarts Ice Cream Shop on Our motorcycles to take a break after riding and grab a cup of coffee. We were out side sitting on the curb in front of our parked bikes having our coffee''s and a smoke, one of the store employees came out and told us to move almost off the property he said our smoke could get in the store. Well we thought we were singeled out they even have an ashtray next to the door and NO signs saying NO SMOKING outside.we have seen other people out side having a smoke near the door and nothing was said to them.This IS DISCRIMINATION! ane I think I have a good case what do you think?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
It is not discrimination and the no-smoking laws in NY have been upheld as they have een in every other part of the country. The only way it would be discrimination would be if you were barred or told to leave the property based upon your race, sex, gender preference and/or disability, other than that this happens all of the time to us smokers and it is not considered discrimination.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.