Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I own property in Florida. I live in California. My ...

I own property in Florida. I live in California. My properties in Florida are worth substantially less than what I paid for them. If I default on those properties, can the lenders come after my personal assets or do the properties stand for the loans?                 Allan M. Harris ([email protected])
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
If you default on the properties, no matter where they are located, the lenders can and will come after your assets where ever you hold them. They will generally foreclose on the properties and sell them and you will be liable for the difference between the outstanding loan balance and the sale price. One thing you could do is contact the lenders and see if they would be willing to allow a "short sale" meaning you would sell the property for less than the loan amount and they would agree in writing to forego the balance on the loan above the sale price.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.