How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question

Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27688
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have filed for divorce in TN without an attorney. I have ...

Customer Question

I have filed for divorce in TN without an attorney. I have filed a motion to set the hearing and plan to file an order to set for trial today. I''m concerned about following proper procedure and would like to know the general procedure for scheduling a hearing and trial so that I know if I have done all that I need to do. Thanks
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer- Once you have file your complaint for divorce your spouse will have time under the rules to file a responsive pleading. Once that has either been filed or the time has elapsed the court will set a schedule of upcoming dates, such as a pre trial or status conference. Many times this depends on what is filed in response to your initial complaint.

You really have no control over the scheduling of the court dates as this is done by the court. It would appear that you have done all you can up to this point to get the matter before the court. If you have filed your complaint and served your spouse with the paperwork then you will just have to wait until your spouse files a reply or answer or, if nothing is filed, then the court will act on its own.

If your spouse files a counterclaim you should file a reply to that. Otherwise the court will handle all of the scheduling of hearing dates and other pertinent matters.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Dave Kennett's Post: Back on May 20th I filed, the complaint for divorce, my waiver and affidavit in support of the final decree, the defendant's answer and waiver in support of the final decree, the marital separation agreement, and the final decree of divorce. I bought all these forms from an online source. The instructions provided with the forms were not very specific when it came to scheduling the hearing and trial.
Included in the forms I purchased were the following: a 'Motion to set final hearing', which I filed yesterday, a 'Motion to set date of hearing', a 'Notice of hearing' which refers to a final hearing within the document, and an 'Order setting date of hearing'. I realize a trial and a hearing are different, and that during the hearing the trial may be set. I'm just not exactly sure which documents are filed and when and no one is very willing to give this information. Like I said in the initial question, I need to file the order to set for trial. Should this be the same thing as the 'Order to set date of hearing' that I purchased or should I change the wording to 'Order to set for trial'? I really appreciate your help. Thank you.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.

The problem is that an "Order" is something that needs to be signed by a judge. You cannot simply file an "Order". If you have file your motion to set a hearing then the court will have to rule on this motion and probably will set a date for either a hearing or scheduling conference. If you just filed on May 20th it hasn't been that long in terms of court scheduling so you will at least have to wait for the court to respond to your motion.

David Kennett

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The rules of the court my case will be in states the following:
An order to set for trial must be filed with the Circuit Court Clerk no later than 7 days prior to the hearing date.

I assume that means the judge wants the paperwork for the order there so it can just be filled out. Is that not what this means? Should the order say 'Order to set for trial' or is that the same thing as saying 'Order to set hearing date'. From what the court clerk's office has told me, I file the motion to set on the day that they tell me is the next available date and then just go there on that date. It didn't sound like there would be a response from the court. I'm really just trying to make sure I know what I'm doing so as not to anger the judge. Thanks so much.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.

If the clerk will give you the date for the hearing or trial then fine, you can fill it in and take it to the judge's office for signature. Usually the court will want to check with the defendant to set the date but if your spouse has made no appearance in the case then it won't matter. Your Order can just say "The Court hereby orders this matter to be set for hearing/trial on (date) at (time)". The judge should have to sign it before it is filed unless the clerk will accept it without the judge's signature.

Every local court has slightly different rules and I can only give you general information since I have no direct access to your local court system. It is sometimes difficult to represent yourself in a legal matter due to all the rules of procedure in the varying jurisdictions.

Dave Kennett

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.