Lawman, Attorney
Experience:  Been in practice since 2003, prior to this I was in the Legal Research field for 15 years.

Can I as an individual garnish someone’s IRS tax return?

Can I as an individual garnish someone’s IRS tax return? I have a judgement against there (2) homes and have tried on several occasions to garnish wages and bank accounts but with no success. Can I garnish there IRS tax refund checks?

Federal tax refunds can be seized by the IRS for tax arrearages without the normal legal procedures being used.

Federal and state tax refunds can be seized by a state child enforcement agency for court ordered child support arrearages.

Tax refunds cannot be seized for creditor debt, for example, a judgment for non payment of a credit card account.

But, once the refund is placed in a bank account it can be subject to levy by a judgment creditor.

The Federal Government can also offset your federal tax refund to pay a student loan debt.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Lawman's Post: The judgement is or personal and not of credit card company. These individuals came into an agreement over a contract, they broke the contract and took the money. We sued them over the contract and won a judgement. Can you clarify this situation since we are not a creditor.
You legally are considered a creditor. Any person or business which holds a debt against a party, are therefore the creditor for and of said debtor. Thus. the IRS will not allow the intercept of said refund.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
That's not too cool, so then my judgement is pretty much worthless. These people open and close bank accounts by the time I find the accounts they are closed with no money. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can monitor when they open up a bank account.
Actually not, your judgment is good for 10 years, then you can re-new it for another 10 years nd so on. You can also located a judgment collector and they would buy your judgment for 60 to 80 percent of the value.

Please click ACCEPT
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Do you know where I can find these judgement collectors? 60-80% is not too bad, at least to get something back.

These are just a few. You can locate one by using the key words: judgment collections

Please click ACCEPT
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** great and very helpfull
No problem. I wish you the best in your getting these dead beats!