Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I moved here some months ago and they have aggressive ...

Customer Question

I moved here some months ago and they have aggressive community policing here. They come to my door and question me about personal matters,ect,ect. They also yell about having me checked by the local sheriff? What should i do?
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Please tell me what state you are in and who is doing the "aggressive community policing".
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The state is missouri. Residents that live close by, local politicians, contractors that work here.
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

You have no obligation to answer the questions of prying neighbors. You also have no obligation to answer the door when they come to your door. If you have a particular problem with one of the inquirers, you may be able to obtain a restraining order.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,

Please hit ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonuses and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. Further questions would be:

I think the neighbors reported me to the sheriff as a suspicous person. What should i do if the police comes to interigate me?
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

If the police come to your home, you can ask them to come back with a warrant and call a lawyer.

If there is no reason for the suspicions, you can choose to simply answer the questions. If the questions become uncomfortable, you can stop the questioning at any time and request a lawyer.

I am curious why they consider you "suspicious".

I hope that this helps.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I live with community policers and they want all young men to be policed because thats what they told me. Also i am from out of town!

Can you please elaborate on what i should do if the police comes or if these locals come to try to interogate me so i don't incriminate myself??
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

To the police: Do you have a warrant? If yes, say nothing other than I want an attorney.
If no, say only Please return when you have a warrant.

To the locals: No comment and close the door.

I hope that this helps.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What should i do if they continue to yell that i will go to jail, am a thief and that they will police me as they have done??
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.
Call the police and report them for harassment.

I hope that this helps.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What is harassment and what else could i do besides call the police so they stop yelling?
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.
I am going to opt out. Perhaps someone else can better assist you.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
I must agree with the previous advice. I will say, you do not have to answer the door when the police knock unless they have a specific reason for coming there, like they have been called there for a complaint and not just to check up on you. As far as the neighbors, you can go to the court and speak with the clerk about getting a restraining order against them if they are harassing you.

You have a 4th Amendment Constitutional right to be safe and secure in your own home. The police cannot just stop by for no reason. If they continue to do so, then you need to hire an attorney to file a lawsuit against them for violating your rights. This is also the type of suit that the ACLU loves to handle free of charge and you should consider calling them.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.