Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

Can a sanitation collector,city owned,enter into the

Can a sanitation collector,city owned,enter into the commercial market(outside the city limits) and pick up trash for a fee, outside of their city limits. RE: Cheraw, Swink, Sugar City City and Rockyford Colorado
Yes, I think so, although they will lose their "sovereign immunity" in case of a problem. they would have to meet certain requirements, obey all ordinances, etc.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Always feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What does sovereign immunity mean,can I bid on their commercial/residential accts within the city limits?
Sovereign immunity is what prevents governments from being sued in most, but not all, situations.

Whether or not you can bid on their city accounts will depend on their ordinances and how they bid the work out. If they do it themselves and don't allow bidding I would argue that they are creating a "monopoly" and that while they are a city and may be entitled to do that within their city limits, once they started doing it as a business outside their borders they changed their status.

You are going to need a local lawyer to help you with this.