Lawgirl, Lawyer
Experience:  I am an attorney familiar with the above-stated subject matter.

I was involved in an accident on March 17, 2005 in ...

Customer Question

I was involved in an accident on March 17, 2005 in Cobb County, Georgia, which I was at fault and my insurance had expired. What is the statute of limitations for this type of case? The other driver''s insurance company has creditors calling me three years after the fact trying to collect the money for fixing the pther driver''s car. No one was injured in the accident. Also, where would a claim be filed? The amount of the damages to the car where 7500.00. To my knowledge I have not been served, not has anyone attempted to serve me.
Expert:  Lawgirl replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

The statute of limitations for damage to personal property is 4 years in Georgia. So, it is possible that they are trying to settle this without going to court. They still have a few more months to file a lawsuit against you.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or require clarification of this matter. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT", so I may receive credit for my response. Tips and feedback are also appreciated.

Good Luck!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Can you tell me if I should go ahead and settle to avoid further penalties such as legal fees?
Expert:  Lawgirl replied 8 years ago.
I really cannot tell you what to do. However, I can give you some food for thought. If you are at fault, then they will probably be able to obtain a judgment against you. In terms of enforcing the judgment, you lose control over how the money is paid and the judgment goes on your credit and can negatively affect it. If you settle, you may have a little more control over the timing of the payments and their amount. You also get to keep the incident out of the public record.