rvlaw, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  NYC Trial Atty. 30 yrs.- pers. inj., contracts, real estate, criminal, estates, matrimonial.

How to write a Letter of Appearance in divorce Summons

What should the details of a general appearance letter contain as per New Jersey State Court Rule 5:4-3(a)?
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

Hi, and welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for entrusting me with your legal issue. I will do my best to assist you. During the course of our interaction , I may need some additional information. Also, please keep in mind that when any of us at JA legal answers a question, we don't know what you, the customer, already knows about the issue unless we are told.

Have you been served with a summons AND complaint?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes I have been served a summons and complaint. I want to file a General apperance to make sure that what is read in court is the same terms I agreed to.
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

I read the rule to verify that you did not have to answer the complaint. Here's what you do:

Use the caption a the top of the summons and complaint...the court; the names of the parties...X v Y, etc. In the spot where they have "summons" and "complaint" type in NOTICE OF APPEARANCE ON YOURS.

Then type:

The defendant __________hereby appears in this action pursuant to Court rule_________"

Follow the format at the end of theirs.

Send a copy to the other attorney/plaintiff. Prepare an affidavit of service indicating that you have done so. File the original notice of appearance and affidavit of service with the court. It is usually required that a person other than yourself mail the copy to the other side and fill out the affidavit of service.