TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

how can i fight fees and overages

Customer Question

i live in ky and someone purchased my property tax bill for 3 years 02-04 and the original bill was around 2200 and now they want 4500 each
anything i can do to fight the high fees or negotiaate
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me to address your legal question.

When you state the somebody purchased your property tax bill, do you mean that you owed back taxes, and a collection agency bought your debt from the state/local govt.? If so, then the collection agency is entitled to everything that the prior creditor was entitled to, which probably includes penalties, interest and reasonable collection fees.

Of course, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t negotiate. The collection agency probably paid pennies on the dollar for the debt, and that means that it will still make a profit if it settles for less than the full amount. And the last thing the collection agency actually wants to do is sue you (that takes time and money – i.e. it’s a waste of its resources). It would much rather get what it can and close your account. So, you should absolutely attempt to negotiate the price down.

Does that answer your question?

If the information that I provided was helpful, please remember to ACCEPT my post as that is the only way I will receive credit and compensation for my answer. Thank you and good luck!

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be sufficiently addressed in this setting. Accordingly, my post is intended as general information only, and should neither be construed as specific legal advice, nor as an adequate substitute for the retention of legal counsel.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to BoredAtty's Post: no it was an investment company that purchases unpaid property tax bills
they purchased these and put a lien on
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
Unfortunately, the outcome is the same. It doesn't matter who purchases the debt, the new creditor is entitled to everything the old creditor was entitled to. Also, the debt can be negotiated since the investment company surely didn't pay what the debt is worth.