Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

my moving company provides warehouse storage for our ...

Customer Question

my moving company provides warehouse storage for our customers.we have several very delinquent customers and have no contact addresses for them,certified letters have been returned unsigned for.Can we dump this storage or will we be liable if these customers decide to contact us(delinquent for over a year)
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

There is an abandoned property process you must go through. It requires that you publish notice in the local newspaper that you're in possession of the person's possessions, and that if they are not recovered within 30 days of the first notice, you will sell or otherwise liquidate the items and use that money to pay off any account balances owed to you.

The California Supreme Court has said that:

"In the event the property so held is not removed within 30 days, such property shall be deemed abandoned and may be sold at a public sale by competitive bidding, to be held at the place where the property is stored, after notice of the time and place for such sale has been given at least five days before the date of such sale by publication once in a newspaper of general circulation published in the county in which the sale is to be held. Notice of the public sale may not be given more than five days prior to the expiration of the 30 days during which the property is to be held in storage. All money realized from the sale of such personal property shall be used to pay the costs of the plaintiff in storing and selling such property, and any balance thereof shall be applied in payment of plaintiff's judgment, including costs. Any remaining balance shall be returned to the defendant. . . ." Love v. Keyes, 6 Cal. 3d 339

My suggestion would be to get an attorney to perform the first one for you, and then you could use that form for any subsequent abandonment procedures.

Roger, Attorney
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If not, please click "Accept" so I may receive credit for my time. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you,I'll try that.
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.
Good luck.