socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I AM A SALARIED MANAGER REQUIRED TO WORK 50 HOURS AND I AM ...

Customer Question

I AM A SALARIED MANAGER REQUIRED TO WORK 50 HOURS AND I AM NOT COMPENSATED FOR THE EXTRA HOURS I HAVE TO WORK. I RECENTLY MISSED JUST UNDER 8 HOURS AND WAS DEDUCTED AN AVERAGE OF 2 DAYS. OTHER MANAGERS ARE NOT ALWAYS DEDUCTED. OTHER MANAGERS ARE GIVEN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE UP MISSED SHIFTS. IS THIS ETHICAL OR ALLOWED IN FLORIDA
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

If you are an exempt employee (salaried), then your employer cannot cut your salary based on the hours that you work. If you work one second of a workweek you are entitled to be paid for the entire week, with certain exceptions, not relevent to your facts.

Your employer can make a deduction if you are absent for personal reasons not associated with non-job related sickness or injury, assuming that the employer has provided for certain paid leave.

Your facts strongly suggest that you are being unfairly treated and that your employer could be subject to a wage claim complaint through the U.S. Department of Labor.

For the precise regulations, see http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2005/julqtr/29cfr541.602.htm

If you want to complain, see: http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/regs/compliance/fairpay/complaint.htm

Terms and Conditions: By clicking "Accept" you hereby understand and agree that in consideration for my conversing with you: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others.