LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

I live in Houston, Texas. I have been working at a company ...

I live in Houston, Texas. I have been working at a company for almost 9 years. I pay the bills for the company. I am not a signer on the checking accounts, but over this period the routine has been that I sign the Presidents name on checks to pay the bills. Recently a check in the amount of $1042.00 was returned unpaid. Can I get into trouble for this check?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

Did you have the authority to sign the President's name? Do you know why the check was not paid?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to CriminalDefense's Post: I have the authority (permission) to sign his name on checks. There was money available at the time to cover the check. The president (owner) of the company takes checks (a lot) and writes them whether there is money available or not so by the time this particular vendor processed the check the funds were no longer in the account. This is not the only check that was returned--it is the only one that I signed his name on that was returned.
You have no liability for the check not clearing. If the payee wants to sue, they will be suing the company, not you. They would hold the company responsible for the bad check, not an individual person. You wrote the check in good faith, that it would clear. You are just an employee there, acting within the scope of your employment and duties. As far as the owner of your company goes, you need to work something out where he informs you when he writes these checks, so that you can balance the check book, so you can make sure all the checks will clear.