Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Attorney
Experience:  Atty. since 1986; Plain English answers to family law, employment, landlord-tenant, & other questions

If a dog owner leaves his dog in the care of another party ...

Customer Question

If a dog owner leaves his dog in the care of another party for two-plus years and does not cover any of the costs of care and feeding for that time period, can he now legally claim that dog as his property?
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

While we write back and forth, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break.

This is a tough question. Is there anything else you want to know while I'm researching? Are both parties and the dog in LA?

I'll look forward to hearing from you,

Jane Doe Deer

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, both parties and the dog are here in Woodland Hills, LA County, CA

I've got to go to sleep. Can this wait for tomorrow?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Not really, the matter just came to my attention half an hour ago and two kids and the dog are about to be traumatized. More info.....   the dog is 6 years old, has only lived at the home of a friend of mine and her two children. The dog's "owner", an ex-boyfriend of hers, now wants to remove the dog from the home and family over thirty months after his departure and what I would term abandonment of the pet in question.

Well, I'm sorry I wasn't able to stay up.

What happened?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He took the dog, rightfully or not, leaving my friend and her children in tears.

Did you call the police? You can/should.

You can also file in Small Claims Court.

Do you want my help or a refund?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Now that the dog is in Lake Tahoe and the emotional damage is done, I'll accept the refund. The point of contacting you was to have a legal leg to stand on last night when something could be done to divert the course things were on.
I'm sorry. I've asked for a refund for you.