Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Experience:  General practice experience in many areas of law

In Mississippi, what is the legal age of a child which you ...

In Mississippi, what is the legal age of a child which you stop paying child support for? He is 18 and I will be supporting him through college, but do not feel I should, and financially cannot keep paying to both. The age "limit" is not documented in our divorce papers. Please advise. Thank you for your assistance. Tammy Roden
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 8 years ago.

In Mississippi, child support is paid until a child becomes emancipated. In Mississippi, the age of emancipation is twenty-one (21). Earlier emancipation may be determined by a judge if the child marries, joins the military on a full-time basis, discontinues full-time enrollment in school and is over 18, obtains other full time employment or establishes residency outside the custodial parent's home, is incarcerated due
to a felony conviction, or cohabits with another person without the approval of the parent obligated to pay child support.

You can petition the court for a modification of your child support obligation based on a reduction in income since the original order. I would recommend seeing a Mississippi attorney in order to determine if you would qualify for a reduction in child support payments.