Cowgirl Lawyer
Cowgirl Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney for 22 years. General Practice, Labor/Employment, PI, WC, Criminal, Family.

Can a wife sign her husbands name to a car title in ...

Can a wife sign her husband's name to a car title in Illinois without culpability?
Expert:  Cowgirl Lawyer replied 8 years ago.

The short answer is no. In Illinois, spouses may not sign each others' names to legal documents.

There are circumstances where one person may sign for another, such as where the signer has a power of attorney. But absent a legal authorization, such as a power of attorney, to sign another's name, a person does not have the right to sign another's name. Simply being a spouse does not allow a person to sign their spouse's name to a legal document.

Good luck!

Please ACCEPT so that I may be paid for my time. Positive feedback and bonuses are appreciated!

Gloria M

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely informational and educational. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not legal advice. This forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of knowledge. You and I have not entered into an attorney/client relationship, and I am not responsible for your legal rights. The only way for us to be in an attorney/client relationship is if you have signed a written retainer agreement with my law firm, and I am only licensed to practice law in Illinois. You should consult with legal counsel in your area for specific information relevant to your situation.