Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator

I bought a computer on 11/05. It stayed in an ...

I bought a computer on 11/05. It stayed in an unopened box for a year, when I opened the box I discovered a part was broken. The manufactuer took it back, never fixed it, never returned it and never repaid my 10,000 dollars. Has my time to go to Small Claims run out?
In California the statute of limitations on a breach of agreement is 4 years from the date they failed to perform (either deliver a new computer or refund your money). So you would start on the date they failed to perform, not the date your purchased. Even if we assume the 11/2005 date, you would still have time to sue until 11/2009. Further, in small claims you can only sue for upto $7,500.00. Anything more than $7,500.00 is a lawsuit in superior court (a claim of unlimited jurisdiction).

If you still wish to sue in small claims (upto $7,500), you can access further information and the forms here. Otherwise you will need to contact your local county court to see if they have the packets for a complaint in Superior court.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you.