Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

For several years I have been getting emails or calls from ...

Customer Question

For several years I have been getting emails or calls from an old friend. I asked him several times to quit, but never does. Anything I can do to get him to stop? He uses different email addressess.
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
What state are you in?

Does he live in the same state?

Do you know where this old friend lives?

How often do you get these emails and when was the last email?

Are these emails of a threatening nature?

Thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: He lives in Florida, I'm in Colorado. No I don't know where he lives.
I get them say once a month, last one today. no they are not threatening, just annoying. Should I keep them?
Thank you for your reply.

In general a repeated pattern of communication that is unwanted is considered harassment. In addition the pattern of communication must be threatening or which reasonably causes a person to be concerned for their safety. Typically harassment can be stopped by getting a restraining order, but since there is no issues of threats or violence in the communication, you may not be eligible for a restraining order. Further a repeated pattern of communication is usually one that is daily, in a pattern. Lastly, to report this offense to the police, you would need to know what county this person is residing in Florida since that state would have jurisdiction to press charges or issue a warning. Since you don't know where he is in Florida, this might be hard. What you can do is contact the police in your county and report this as harassment. The police in Colorado may elect to take your complaint or will ask you to report this in Florida. If the police takes it they may be able to trace his emails to find out where he is located or at least try to issue a warning to him this way. If you have this person's phone number, you can give that to the police in Colorado to issue him a warning (if the police in your state wants to handle your complaint). Otherwise, it will be hard to track him down in Florida unless he has given you his contact information. If he has contact the police in his county to report this.

You should keep his emails to show that you have asked him to stop and he continues. This can be used as evidence to sustain a charge against him.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you.

Wanted to include the Colorado statute for harassment for your review.

18-9-111. Harassment - stalking.

For Florida the harassment is part of the stalking statute which you can review here