LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

My daughters friend got a MIP at Winchester on the ...

My daughters friend got a MIP at Winchester on the sand and was not driving. She went to court last week and they suspended her license for 1 year and reduced her fine to $150.00 from $300.00. Why is her license suspended when she wasn''t driving or near a vehicle?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 8 years ago.

ORS 471.430 Minor in possession of alcohol

When minors are in possession of alcohol, they are either holding the alcohol, have consumed the alcohol, or attempted to purchase. They will be referred to juvenile court or cited into circuit court. The minor will be fined, driving privileges will be suspended for up to one year, and/or the minor will have to wait up to one year to apply for a driver license. Juveniles may be sent to an alcohol education course. (Class B Violation)

The way the statute is set up, it does not require a minor to be driving a vehicle at the time they are caught. One of the consequences of the charge, is a suspension of the license. This is just the way the law is set up.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Can she qualify for a hardship license to drive back and forth to work and school since she pays all her own bills?

Yes, she can qualify, depending on her circumstances. What I suggest, is that she goes to her local DMV and asks what is required of her, to receive this. Sometimes, the DMV has certain requirements, before issuing hardship licenses.