Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

The greeters at WalMart refused to allow my

The "greeters" at WalMart refused to allow my VA-100% service -related disability husband one of the motorized shopping cart - held the one remaining cart for a fat, old, White friend who just did not want to walk around the store. The scene regarding this incident was very unpleasant, with the greeter pushing me away from the cart and helping his friend into it. Can they legally do this?
They cannot discriminate against persons with disabilities and you could make a complaint to the California Commission on Human Rights that they violated the law in denying you access to the store based upon your disability. However, you would need to prove that the party that the cart was given to was not disabled as well. Additionally, you would have to prove that the person or someone on his behalf did not ask the greeter to assist him with the cart. The other choice you have is you can contact Walmart's corporate offices and make a written complaint with them.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for each of my answers. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.