rvlaw
rvlaw, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  NYC Trial Atty. 30 yrs.- pers. inj., contracts, real estate, criminal, estates, matrimonial.
3071004

I have a big furniture bill that keeps on adding up. I ...

Customer Question

I have a big furniture bill that keeps on adding up. I don't have the furniture because my husband took it with him. I've called Levitz to see if they would settle with me, but they offered me a outrages amount to settled. What can I do?
Expert:  rvlaw replied 6 years ago.

Hi, and welcome to Just Answer. Thank you for entrusting me with your legal issue. I will do my best to assist you. During the course of our interaction , I may need some additional information.

I assume that you are divorced or separated. If you and he are on the bill, I would sue him in CA small claims court (limit $7,500.00) since he is using the furniture. Advise Levitz of what you are doing and get them to agree in writing to give you at least 2 months to complete the suit against your husband.

Rich

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No we are not divorce just yet, but Iam starting the paper work soon. I really wanted to work with the finance company so they can lower the balance from $6.000 to maybe like $3.000. They said that they would agreed upon a hard ship settlement but I have to make four payments of over 1,500 a month to them. I think that is rather high to settle under hard ship dont you think? I was willing to make a couple hundreds dollars each paycheck until its paid off. I know that once it goes into collection I can easily settle with them for a much lower amount, only it would hurt my credit much more, but since it is ruin does it make a difference anymore? What would be your best advice towards me and levitz, ot what can i said to have them work with me?
Expert:  rvlaw replied 6 years ago.

You are dealing with this responsibly and from a legal/strategy standpoint.......smartly. The Lervitz proposal is high and I wholeheartedly agree that you should wait until it gets to collections without, of course, telling Levitz your plan. Just tell them that it is just impossible as a practical matter to settle on that basis...you just don't have the money.

Since CA is a community property state, this is really a joint obligation. I can't help but return to my prior suggestion that you get seek relief from your husband while you wait for the matter to proceed to collections. Good luck.

Rich