Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

If it is determined that an ex-spouse left his former ...

If it is determined that an ex-spouse left his former wife as beneficiary with the Union for life insurance and pension, does the employer also have to acknowledge the former wife as beneficiary for dispersment of monies earned by the deceased?
No. Life insurance and pension plans require a designated beneficiary and they pass to those beneficiaries upon death. As far as earned pay, that money is distributed to the estate of the deceased and is distributed according to intestacy rules (if there was no will) or in accordance to any will. If an ex-spouse was named in a will before divorce and divorce occurs, the donations to that ex-spouse are no longer valid unless there is a subsequent will or codicil stating that the intent is that the ex-spouse still inherits. The money earned by the deceased will go to the estate for the deceased.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for each of my answers. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.