Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

My question involves a personal letter written by

My question involves a personal letter written by a person in 1911 to another person. The letter-writer died in 1964. The letter is now in the British Library (recipient died in 1953).

Is the letter considered in public domain since it was written prior to 1923? Or, do I have to wait until 70 years beyond 1964 (2034) before it''s open to public domain?

Attornies for the letter''s writer''s estate has told me that "they take no position" regarding offering permission to me to publish this letter. They say giving permission falls outside the scope of their responsibility. So, since the estate itself doesn''t want to tell me what I can and cannot do, I feel wary of any possible success in publishing this letter in a book. Any thoughts you could offer would be welcome.
Unless the letter was actually copyrighted, it is not subject to the copyright laws. The only laws involved would be the right to privacy laws. If the letter is on display at a museum, it is unlikely that there is an privacy right involved since it is already published in a sense. If the estate tries to sue over use of the letter, it would have to prove that the letter was copyrighted, if not it is highly unlikely they will be able to make a case for infringement.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for each of my answers. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.