Kim Courtney
Kim Courtney,
Experience:  Founder/Member at Food Business Association

I am the GM at a hotel, the Corporation that owns the ...

I am the GM at a hotel, the Corporation that owns the hotel owns another a few doors behind. I have been hearing from several different hotels that the other GM is going around telling everyone I am about to be fired. No one from Corp. has mentioned this to me, but I am hearing that hsekprs. from his hotel, and the other 2 behind us all know. I have asked my supervisor who happens to be a gm at a hotel in SD, but she hasn''t heard anything. People have even approached my husband in the streets, and ex employees from the other hotel know of this. But everyone is saying I''m not to know yet. Do I have a case of any kind???
Expert:  Kim Courtney replied 8 years ago.

Hello, I am happy to answer your question.

It doesn't sound to me like you have any type of a case.

If you were to consider a claim for slander, it would have to be based upon the fact that what is being said about you isn't true. You don't know that yet, it could be true. Also, you don't have any damages yet. Is it hurting your career? These are the questions you would have to ask yourself.

Rumors are not enough to bring such an action, they have to be said by someone who KNOWS that they are not true. If so many people are talking, it just could be that you are the last one to know.

Just hang in there and hopefully everything will calm down.