rvlaw, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  NYC Trial Atty. 30 yrs.- pers. inj., contracts, real estate, criminal, estates, matrimonial.

My husband worked for Wayne county in Detroit michigan, ...

Customer Question

My husband worked for Wayne county in Detroit michigan, passed away during his employed from cancer. My children and I were entitled to health benefits from the county. Myself till death and my children till 18. I did remarry a year later, however prior to re-marriage, I called to ask if my children would lose their benefits if they were adopted by my soon to be spouse and if I would lose my benefits. They said that we would NOT lose our benefits cause they were our benefits and we could not lose them due to marriage. The benefits did continue for a year after I was re-married but then I recieved a letter stating that we were no longer entitiled to benefits due to re-marriage and adoption of the children and that the children were now my new spouses responsibilty. My husband has just passed away and my question is.. am I entitled to my insurance now that I am no longer married? I have called the health office and I don''t feel that I am going to get an honest answer from them.
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

Two suggestions...and I agree that the health office will probably give you the run Department of Health:,1607,7-192-29942---,00.html

or the State Insurance Department/Department of Labor:,1607,7-154-10555---,00.html