skelly151, Lawyer
Experience:  Litigation specialist, Probate and Estate law, Collection law, contract disputes, builder issues

What I can do for seems been stolen my identity, I tried to ...

Customer Question

What I can do for seems been stolen my identity, I tried to applied for refinance my house and I been told that my name is XXXXX XXXXX because I did not pay a bill back in 1966.
Expert:  skelly151 replied 8 years ago.
If that is not a typo someone trying to collect a bill that old is way beyond the statute of limitations and you can contest it on that basis and on the fact that you did not incur it. Ask the creditor to verify the debt in writing under the Fair Debt and Collections Practices Act. They must do so to be in compliance with that law.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Do you mind that I can contact to Sears? but this agency told me that the account is no longer Sears problem, they have to collect now for other company.
Expert:  skelly151 replied 8 years ago.
Sure you can contact Sears. I would do so even if the collection company says it is now their account. IF it originated from Sears you can likewise talk to them