Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
8370490

I am currently renting an office space which is located in ...

I am currently renting an office space which is located in a basement, does not have any running water or a bathroom. Office space has aprox 600-700 sq ft. My landlord has presented me with a real estate tax bill for $2100. Is it my obligation to pay it?
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 8 years ago.

Hello igorgolden,

Did you have some sort of agreement to pay the real estate taxes in addition to your rent? If not, you are under no obligation to pay the real estate taxes. That is the responsibility of the owner/landlord.

Thomas

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Thomas Swartz's Post: No there is no agreement of any kind nor is there a contract. Just a verbal agreement to pay rent.

Then you are under no obligation to pay the real estate taxes. Your verbal agreement to pay rent would be considered an enforceable contract. However, it is obviously not a good thing to have verbal agreements regarding rent. It is much better to have such agreements in writing. Otherwise, landlords can make claims like the one he is making now. If he attempted to enforce this, it would be his word against yours. However, I don't think a court would likely find that you agreed to pay the real estate taxes in addition to rent.

Thomas