How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 114698
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Libel/Slander - Defamation of Character; False ...

This answer was rated:

Libel/Slander - Defamation of Character; False Report/Mischief. An estranged family member made a prank call from the US to Canada saying there was abuse occuring in my home. Child and Family Services and the Police are now involved. None of that is occurring in my dwelling. How do I seek restituation and damages from this person in US while I in Canada?
You will need an attorney in the U.S. state where the person lives and will have to file a law suit in that state since that is the only court that has jurisdiction over that person. You can file for defamation if you can prove the statement was knowingly false when it was made and it was made with reckless disregard for its falsity. You will also have to show some monetary damages. You can find an attorney to assist you by calling the bar of that state.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for each of my answers. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to PaulMJD's Post: So what you are saying is that I am able to contact the legal bar in Atlanta and hope one of the attorney's will represent my case, correct? Would you know this, would i have to travel to meet this attorney at any point or would this occur soley by phone, email, fax?
A lawsuit? how much will that be for? Looking on line it shows 15K. Do you know of any other cases simular to this?
For a referral you can contact:

Atlanta Bar Association
Lawyer Referral and Information Service
400 International TowerXXXXXbr />Atlanta, Georgia NNN-NN-NNNNbr />Carla Brown(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />
You can meet with the attorney over the phone and you can send him whatever evidence and proof you have. At some point you may need to appear in court if the matter goes that far. As far as how much you should sue for, that all depends on your actual damages and emotional damages. This is something that the attorney will have to determine after examining all of the evidence in your case. Each case is different and I have had some where all we received was $200 and there have been others that have exceeded $15K. Again, it all depends on the damages you have suffered.
Law Educator, Esq. and 10 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you so much Paul. It is a start.
You're welcome. Good luck to you. Just remember everything you do against this person must be done in GA.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to PaulMJD's Post: OKay.
I am not sure how long this will take to get the ball rolling, but I will inform you of its outcome (if I am not back before that).
It may take a little time, but it will get handled. Remember, defamation has a 1 year time limit to file an suit.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, right now I am collecting a paper trail, from the school, to the social worker, my physician because he put me on relaxants so I can sleep, and next will be the police dept. I am requesting everything by documented. The only thing I do not have is the actual documentation of the phone call that was made because it would be part of the school and CFS phone records not my own.
Phone records can always be subpoenaed by the attorney.

Related Legal Questions