Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
1723468

if you have a dishonored check from your financial ...

if you have a dishonored check from your financial institution that you had written to someone, how long does the other party(the person/business you wrote the check to) have to collect ? and if they obtain a judgement for that draft in court, how long do they have to recoup the money?
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
What state law would you be asking information about?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to LawNinvest's Post: ohio
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ohio
Thank you for your reply. For a dishonored check without the issuance of a demand to pay, they would have three years from the date of the dishonored check to enforce collection by filing a lawsuit. The statute of limitation does not mean they are not able to collect on their own, it only means they are barred from suing you.

Dishonored check or draft: 3 years after dishonor, (O.R.C. §1303.16 (C)

As to enforcement of a judgment it would be 21 years to enforce with the option to renew for an additional 21 years. This would not apply to your particular situation since they would be barred from suing you for the reasons stated above.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research. If you need more help, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over, thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. . You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. Thank you.