LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

My Homeowners assocaition filled small claim

Customer Question

My Homeowner''s assocaition filled small claim against me but I have vacated the property since Dec. and I am in foreclosure with my property do they have the right to ask me to pay them even I''m in forclosure with my condo.
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance.

1. Yes, unfortunately the homeowners' association is free to continue to pursue legal action against you (i.e. for unpaid assessments or fees) without regard to the foreclosure action.

2. I wish I had better news to share, but the fact of the matter is that the foreclosure will not stop the small claims action. I hope that things work out for you, and please feel free to write back again if you have any other questions.

If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what will happen if I don't show up during the hearing will I get in trouble

Hello again and thanks for writing back.

1. You will not get into trouble as far as having criminal charges brought against you. However, what will most likely happen is that the judge will rule in favor of the other side in your absence. An adverse default judgment will be entered against you, and you would have to go to court to try and show grounds to have it set aside.

Take care and thanks again for choosing Just Answer™.