Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

i put up an item for auction on ebay and it was ...

i put up an item for auction on ebay and it was for local pick up only. When the buyer came to pick up the item, they did not have a chance to try out the item (refrigerator) so they assumed that it was not working. In an attempt to compromise, i offered to send the buyer a fifty dollar check for gas troubles. The buyer agrees and promises, in an email, to leave a positive feedback once the check has been received. I kept a copy of the money order i sent and the buyer left me a negative feedback instead of keeping his word; therefore, i would like to sue for breach of duty, along with a damaged reputation on ebay. Do i have a legitimate suit?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
You may have an issue of breach of contract if he promised to leave positive feedback in exchange for you giving him $50 for gas. As far as defamation, if he believes it to be the truth, it is unlikely that you will succeed in that action.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for each of my answers. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break