Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I stopped payment on a check to an auto repair shop ...

Customer Question

I stopped payment on a check to an auto repair shop after finding on the way home that the brakes did not function and other repairs had not been performed.I stopped payment on the check after finding in the phone book an auto repair shop tht would pick up the car and repair it.What are my options?
Expert:  AutoTechInSTL replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer and welcome to!

I need to know if you want to know how to work things out with the repair shop, or if you want to know if you have any legal rights in this matter (Your question got posted to the automotive department, but I can have it redirected to legal if you so desire). Let me know what department you'd like to have an expert.

Also can you go into details about exactly what repairs were supposedly made, why you took it in, and anything else you think is relevant?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I took the car in because the brakes were unsafe and the dashboard showed a red light indicating an electric problem.I never received a price for any repairs at the outset except for an inspection and the total price when I went to pick up the car.I paid them $978.00 and drove the car home but found the brakes very unsafe. I found a repair shop in the telephone book that would tow the car to their shop.This shop charged me $1,600 for the brake repair,a new alternator and transmission adjustment.The original shop is threatening me with paying them twice the amount of their bill claiming it is consisten twith Texas law.
Yes, this looks like a job for our Legal Experts. I'm going to have this transferred to their department for you.

In the mean time I'm going to 'opt out' of the question. This does not mean that we've forgotten about you, it just means that other experts in the Legal department will now have a chance to jump in and help you further!

No action is required on your part.. just sit tight and hopefully someone will be with you shortly. Good luck!