FiveStarLaw
FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

What is the buyers remorse period for elecrtonics

Customer Question

I bought a computer over the phone on the 11 and they are telling me that they cannot refund the money to my account. What is the buyers remorse peroid for such a purchase?
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

As we work together, please remember to click ACCEPT for each of my answers that is helpful to you. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work. If you need clarification of an answer, please do not hesitate to request it. Also, please remember that I am only aware of the facts that you present to me.

Generally speaking, there is a three day federal right of rescission on consumer transactions in the home. If you would like, I can check state law if you post me back with your state.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you. If so, please CLICK ACCEPT. After clicking ACCEPT, feel free to ask an additional question or request a clarification.

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE

Bonuses and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!

FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience: 25 years of experience helping people like you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I knew that the buyers remorse peroid for cars was three days. On the other hand surtain items such as cellular phones have a two week buyers remorse peroid. Was my answer a general answer or the absolutly correct answer for such an event?
It is absolutely correct on federal law. If you tell me your state I can check state law to see if there is a provison that will apply to you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I live in Colorado.

It is three days under Colorado State law also. Here is a summary of Colorado's rights of rescission (buyer's remorse) from the District Attorney's Office web site:

Rescission Rights

Rescission rights are also known as cooling-off periods or cancellation periods. Colorado law allows specific transactions to be rescinded. Please note: Vehicle purchases do not come with a rescission or cancellation policy. The law provides different rescission periods for specific contracts. Refer to the chart below to determine if your transaction has a rescission period associated with it and to determine the length allowed by law.

One Day Right of Rescission

• For membership buyer club contracts, please see Colorado Revised Statute 6-1-105-(bb)(1).
  • Donations of goods, Colorado Revised Statute 6-16-106.
  • You can access the statutes by going to the State of Colorado's Web site, selecting the link "Legislature", and then "Colorado Revised Statutes".

Three Day Right of Rescission

• Door-to-door sales (see section under Door-to-Door sales in this Web site).
  • Any solicitation credit transaction involving four or more payments (excluding the down payment) made at your home that does not involve a credit card. Your legal rights can be found in the Colorado Revised statute 5-2-501-5 and 5-2-104 and 5-1-301(12). Any credit transaction that could result in a lien being placed on your home comes with a three-day cancellation period (home improvement repairs). See the Uniform Commercial Credit Code Loan information in Colorado Revised Statutes 5-5-204.
  • All health club contracts are covered in Colorado Revised Statutes 6-1-105 (t) (I)
  • Pledges of cash or purchases made to benefit a non-profit organization. The rescission period begins within three days of receiving written confirmation of the contribution from the charity.
  • Telemarketing contracts.

You can access the statutes by going to the State of Colorado's Web site, selecting the link "Legislature", and then "Colorado Revised Statutes".

Five Day Right of Rescission

• Credit repair contracts are covered in Colorado Revised Statutes 12-1405-108(2).
  • Time share or interval ownership contract information is found in Colorado Revised Statutes 6-1-105 (s)(II).

30 Day Right of Rescission

• Hearing Aid sales

Please CLICK ACCEPT so I can receive credit.

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE.