Anne, Lawyer
Experience:  Trial Lawyer, 15 Years Experience

I am in Texas. Who pays for an oral deposition I have ...

I am in Texas. Who pays for an oral deposition? I have been noticed by Plaintiff attorney of an oral deposition and I understand that I can submit written questions to be posed to the deponent without my being physically at the deposition itself. Am I subject to any costs for the deposition?

Dear Bastrop, Texas:

The person that noticed the deposition pays for the cost of the deposition. However, if you want a copy of the transcript, you will have to pay for the copy.

Questions can be submitted in writing at a deposition, but arrangements have to be made well in advance with the Court Reporter. Remember, the Court Reporter can only ask the questions; he or she can't follow up if the deponent does not answer as expected.