rvlaw, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  NYC Trial Atty. 30 yrs.- pers. inj., contracts, real estate, criminal, estates, matrimonial.

I have a contractor trying to collect for service

I have a contractor trying to collect for service never rendered. Don''t they need to have a signed authorization to start any job or/and a completion? I received a demand for payment in my mailbox. I called them and they state it was my property. No proof of the work done. They send an invoice with the demand.
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

There is no requirement of a writing. If you entered an oral contract, it is binding. That said, if you have a dispute about the quality of the work; the conformity to specs, etc...that's another issue. But it you in fact retained this contractor, you must address the issue. He can put a mechanic's lien on your house and/or sue you for money he claims is due.