rvlaw
rvlaw, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  NYC Trial Atty. 30 yrs.- pers. inj., contracts, real estate, criminal, estates, matrimonial.
3071004

I want to sell the car that my girlfriend and I bought

We bought the car two months ago and she paid $10000 I paid $12000, the car was sold in her name. We paid with her check and my check. She just split up with me and I want my half of the money from the car. I want to sell the car for what I can get and give her half, she doesn't want me to sell it but said she'll go to court if I want my share.

Hi Kent,

You are each entitled to get your money out of the car, based upon your % of ownership: 12K and 10K in case the value is now less since it's two months old. If you two can't agree to sell and divide the proceeds, one of you will have to sue to force it to happen. Since she is resisting and the title is in her name, she probably will do nothing. You will have to sue HER to get the matter resolved.

Rich