dkennedy, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Juris Doctorate Degree

My brother sold something on ebay, and because he sometimes ...

Customer Question

My brother sold something on ebay, and because he sometimes doesn''t get mail, he had the buyer send the money order to me. I knew nothing about this until the money order showed up a month ago. my brother told me to cash it as he already sent out the item. So I did. Somehow the buyer has my phone # XXXXX my future mother in laws phone # XXXXX is leaving harrassing phone messages. I had my brother contact the buyer back to get this straigtened out. Apparrently the buyer didn''t receive the item yet and is threatening me with mail fraud. My brother stated that the item was sent out weeks ago and somehow got sent back to him, so my brother resent it out last week. I even changed my phone # XXXXX I am not the seller, i don''t live with my brother. I was just trying to help him. What can I do?
Expert:  dkennedy replied 8 years ago.

You probably already know what to do. If I were you, I would refund the money to the buyer and tell your brother that he owes you the money. I think he is trying to scam the buyer and he just used you. The last thing you need is theft charges or more harassment.