Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

We were given a dog (the orig owner gave the ...

We were given a dog (the orig owner gave the responsibility of finding a home for the dog to her neighbor) John gave us the dog, after picking it up from a home who had the dog for one night. There was no written contract. He simply gave me the dog, and the dog''s belongings, saying that when the AKC papers arrived, he would get them to me. I asked for his phone number in case any problems should arise, and he refused to give it to me. Over 24 hours had passed, and the original owner called and asked if i would give her the dog back. I told her no, and backed that up with the police department saying I did not have to give the dog back. Since she has contacted my husband''s command (husband is military), my former employer, has come to my house banging on door, ringing the doorbell, and peeping through my windows. Today I was served with papers for civil court. I am going to file a restraining order against her tomorrow, and a counter suit. Is there any basis to her claim?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
The owner may have some action depending on how and why the person who gave you the dog came about getting the dog from that owner. If he took the dog from the owner under false pretenses, she may be able to get the dog back, especially since you did not buy the dog from this other person. She should not be contacting any employers and this could be good grounds for the restraining order.

If you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!