Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
3396227

I would like to ask a question about a religous mater.

I would like to ask a question about a religous mater. My friend is a christian and he is getting evictded and discrminated against because, he has displays pertaining to God to on his car. His landlord and neigbors want him to move. would you call that evicting a person on their religous rights
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

DearXXXXX- This is not a legal reason for an eviction and he certainly can fight it. He has a right to display signs on his car although he cannot erect signs on the property, regardless of the language without the permission of the landlord. He cannot be evicted for his religious beliefs and if that is the grounds stated on his eviction notice he should definitely fight this in court.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I AM A DISABLED PERSON AND DON'T THINK IT IS FAIR FOR THEM TO TREAT MY FRIEND BADLY OVER THE MATTER.
HE DOESN'T WANT HAVE TO TAKE THE LANDLORD TO
COURT. HE WOULD LIKE TO SETTLED IT CIVIL.
HE IS A CHRISTIAN. THE LANDLORD DID SAY WHEN HE FIRST RENTED THE PLACE. HE WOULD NOT RAISE THE RENT AND HE COULD STAY THERE FOR AS LONG HE WANTED. HE TRUSTED HIM AND BELIEVE HIM. HE DID NOT GET IT IN WRITNIG.
THE LANDLORD WILL NOT RENEW THE LEASE. HE IS JUST GOING TO TAKE IT AS COMES.

Unfortunately the landlord is not bound to renew the lease. He could not terminate a lease for religious reasons but he does not have to renew the lease and especially if your friend does not want to challenge the issue. I'm sorry for your friend's dilemma.

Dave Kennett