Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

what is the factor should be consider if i want to ...

Customer Question

what is the factor should be consider if i want to file palimony suit against my unregistered domestic partner whom ten years ago said I did not have to work anymore and that he made enough money to support both of us and that I should work on my health. please advise he is not living up to this verbal arrangement and now we mutually want out?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
You would have to file a suit for support. The court will consider the length of your relationship, the level of living to which you have become accustomed, the amount of time it will take for you to reacclimate yourself into the work force and how much training it will require you to get back into the work force. The court will also consider whether or not you are healty enough to work. This will be filed like any other suit for support. It begins with filing a complaint for support and sustinence outlining the charges which you believe entitle you to support. You should have an attorney representing you in this matter and you can get one either free or at a reduced cost from your state legal aid or the CA Bar Association's Pro Bono project.

If you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i don't think this answer apply to my situation
Sure it does. If you had a verbal arrangement with your partner (even unregistered) where you gave up working and relied on those promises, then you would be entitled to support. Part of you suit for support will be the cause of detrimental reliance, meaning that promises were made to you and you relied upon them to your detriment.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for each of my answers. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i still don't know if this applies to me.