rvlaw
rvlaw, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  NYC Trial Atty. 30 yrs.- pers. inj., contracts, real estate, criminal, estates, matrimonial.
3071004

I am being evicted for alleged violations that are ...

Customer Question

I am being evicted for alleged violations that are false and I have proof that the alleged violations are false. can my land lord be held accountable for defermation of character, and be prevented from evicting me.
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

Not for defamation. Allegations in legal papers are generally privileged...cannot be the basis of defamation suits. BUT if you have proof that the allegations are false you should definitely tell the court orally and/or in writing as it may be required by your local court. Presumably your proof will lead to dismissal of the eviction complaint.

Rich

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to rvlaw's Post: can he have me remove from the premises without an order from the court
Expert:  rvlaw replied 8 years ago.

ABSOLUTELY NOT!