Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

what is the difference between juvenile and adult court proceedings

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
The difference between the proceedings is that a juvenile proceeding can be closed to the public and the records are not public information, whereas an adult proceeding is public and the records are public. Additionally, in a criminal proceeding against an adult the adult is found guilty of the crime, whereas a juvenile is adjudicated delinquent. Juvenile arrest records are sealed and not available to be used against you as an adult. Juvenile proceedings are conducted in front of a judge without a jury, unlike adult proceedings where there is a right to trial by jury. There are some other differences, but those are the major ones, unless you have any specific questions.

If you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!
I hope my advice was helpful, if not let me know what other information you require. If it was helpful, please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for my work.