Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I PAID A RETAINER TO A LAWYER FOR MY SON I KNOW ...

I PAID A RETAINER TO A LAWYER FOR MY SON I KNOW LONGER WISH TO CONTINUE TO OR CAN AFFORD TO PAY HIM CAN I FIRE HIM
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
Yes you can fire him, or at least notify him that you will no longer be responsible for his bills should your son choose to continue using him. Technically your son is the client and has the attorney-client relationship with the attorney, which is why I said that you need to notify the attorney in writing that you no longer want his services and will no longer be responsible for payment should your son decide to continue using him for representation.

If you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
EVEN THAT WE SIGNED AND PAID THE RETAINER
Is your son a juvenile? If he is, then you can fire the attorney and request the retainer back, which he is bound to do after charging for any services he has rendered. If he refuses, then you can file a complaint to your state bar disciplinary association. If your son is an adult, then even though you paid the retainer, he represents your son, not you, so your son is the only one who can fire him. Now, you can ask for your retainer back and inform him that you do not want to be responsible for any payment to him and he should return the portion of the retainer that has not been used. But if your son is an adult, you cannot fire the attorney from representing your son, he would have to do that.