Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations

Is it against any privacy laws to show just the adresses of ...

Customer Question

Is it against any privacy laws to show just the adresses of customer''s where a service company has performed a job or a service? The address is not associated with any other information only that the company has worked at that location. I have been told that since permits and just addresses are public domain it isn''t, but I want to know for sure. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer- I can find no law that would prohibit you from revealing the various locations where you have performed work unless you have signed some sort of confidentiality agreement with the customers. There is no expectation of privacy when hiring for goods and services with the exception of several professions such as law or medicine where confidentiality is a must.

In your situation there is even a public record of the job so it is already in the public domain. The only problem you might run into is that if the various homeowners (I am assuming this is residential work) get upset they could file some civil nuisance action against you which you would then have to defend. I'm not saying they would win but you would still have to deal with the problem.

It all depend on how important this is to your advertising. It may be better to request permission from past customers in advance so you can see if there might be a problem individual that you may want to avoid.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you. I appreciate your quick response.
No problem and thanks for using our service - Dave Kennett