Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

I am currently going through a divorce. my wife is the one ...

I am currently going through a divorce. my wife is the one who wants a divorce, not me. I''m not exactly sure why, either. She makes about 3 or 4 dollars an hour more than me. I have a debt of about 17,000, accumilated during marriage. She has about 30,000 in accumulated school loans, during marriage. Assets are not much, alittle bit. She wants me to agree on a uncontested divorce, she wants to keep things out of the court system, and I thought I did as well, but the more people I talk to, and the more info I am receiving, should I get a lawyer, and take this all the way?, or should I let it go uncontested, and leave it at that?
Thanks for your question. I think that yo need to at least talk to a lawyer here about the debts as much as anything. I don't think it is possible to completely keep this out of the court system.

Honestly my guess is that she has found another guy here. Often when things don't add up it's becasue there is someone else in the equation. That would just be speculation on my part but time will tell here.

There is a difference between talking to a lawyer and and deciding whether to contest here. It may very well be that after you talk to one you realize there's not much here to fight about. On the other hand if she makes more than you there is a possibility of spousal support here for you. Again just one of the kinds of issues you talk over with a local lawyer. Good luck to you here..

Here is the state bar lawyer referral service..

Thank you and please click accept so that I may be paid for my answer to you. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Legal Disclaimer: The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice and by rendering such information there is no formation of an attorney-client relationship. I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. As law is always changing, you are advised to speak with legal counsel for accurate information.